Edmodo – starting up

This is hopefully the first in a series of posts about using Edmodo.

You may recall from earlier posts that I was wanting my maths class to have an online presence.

In the Help! post, I was wondering what tools to use to be able to manage and interact with my class. I started a maths blog last week (which will develop as we go along – and to be honest, I’m not really sure what I actually want its functions to be, yet) and will show the boys for the first time on Monday.

I had signed up to Edmodo towards the end of the 2008 academic year, but didn’t think it was worth starting at that stage. I had some inkling of what it was and looked at the edmodo blog but I wasn’t confident what would happen when I used it.

So, this morning, I have explored.

Setting up an account is quite straight forward, so I won’t delve into that. It was also quite easy to set up a group. Click on ‘create’, type in the name of the group and click “create”.

When you create a group, you get a code to give to your students. They go to the Edmodo home page and create a student account, where they will need to enter the code to become part of the group.

What I wanted to find out first, was who gets to see whose messages.

To test this out I created two different student accounts – it was handy having access to three computers to do this.

When a student creates an account they have a username and also their own name. The username is what they use to log in with, but when the write messages (posts), it is their real name that you see. I was hoping it may be thier user name and that this would help keep them anonomous, but it isn’t really an issue, as I’ll explain shortly.

The student window is basically the same as the teacher’s window but with a few less options. It has the central message box at the top and any messages appear below this.

One of my reasons for wanting an on-line presence, was so that students could communicate with me at anytime. We know that some students don’t like asking for help in front of their peers, so using Edmodo can help with this.

When a student types a message, they then type who they want the message to go to, in the box below. In the image, my test student typed the letter ‘B’ which brought up to choices that contain that letter: (1) Colin Becker (teacher) or (2) Year 7 B1 Maths (the name of the group they belong to).

If the student chose to send the message to the teacher, then no other student would get to see that message – this is great for anonymity. If the student chose to send it to the group, then everybody gets to see it. As far as I could tell, students are unable to send messages to students.

Last pointer: I continually forgot the usernames and passwords of my ‘test’ students, and forgot the invite code for the group. A single click (left-click) on the little pencil brings a pop-up menu where you can access some admin options and change the colour associated with the group.

I hope to write further posts on how I’m using Edmodo with my class – I really aren’t sure where it’s going to go.

So, you might like to subscribe to my blog to keep up with my Edmodo journey.

To subscribe via RSS click here.

Photo: source Some rights reserved

17 thoughts on “Edmodo – starting up

1. Hi Colin,
    Given that we are such big fans of Twitter, it will be really interesting to see what you think of Edmodo.
    I haven’t used it myself nor heard of anyone using it, so will enjoy hearing about your thoughts as you use it with your class.
    All the best!
    Lucy 🙂

2. Lucy-

We have been using it in seventh grade with 80 students. On elenakostovska.wordpress.com, I outlined in the comment section three uses that we have implemented for Edmodo. The only limitation of uses is the imagination!

RecessDuty

3. Hi Elena,
    It’s partly due to your posting about Edmodo, that I decided to give it a go. I had been thinking about Edmodo, and your post convinced me that it was worth trying. So, thank you!
    Colin

4. Thank you to Colin and everyone who is using Edmodo in the classroom. We are continuing to develop the platform to better meet the needs of the teaching community, so please contact us with any feedback or questions. The best place to find us is in the “edmodo” or “support” groups that teachers are automatically enrolled in after signing up for Edmodo.

5. Hi Nic,
    Thanks for visiting! I’m sure I will use the support group along the way. Are you aware of some ‘case studies’ of schools using Edmodo?

6. Wow Colin, Edmodo looks very cool! I think the students will love it! It does look very similiar to Facebook. Do you know if you can upload photos? I’m still trying to decide which online tool to use for my art blog and Edmodo could work as long as there’s space for lots of photos.

Good luck with the project!

7. Colin-

Not sure how else to contact you, but your post on http://www.freetech4teachers.com on EDMODO was a well written piece! I continue to think about ways to use Edmodo and still like it. I do with the “threads” of conversation among students could be in a “forum” style versus the way it is now.

Again, a great write up! Congratulations!

RecessDuty!

8. Hey. Write down the advice of him who loves you, though you like it not at present.
    I am from Zealand and now teach English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: “Save with coupons, deals promotions at couponmountain.”

Best regards ;-), Salena.